2 weeks ago, I was looking over my Hal Higdon Novice 2 full marathon training plan and remembered that it called for me to run a half marathon this past weekend. I found the Pensacola Marathon still had spots open for its half so I was planning to register after talking to My husband about the details. Well, I waited too long to register and they closed registration but said they would have 100 first come/first serve half entries at the start of the expo. So I took Friday off from work so I could drive the 1.5 hours over to late register.
So, Friday I was getting up and getting ready to head over to Pensacola and I posted a tweet about it. Well, through a TOTALLY unexpected opportunity, I got a last minute entry to run the Wine and Dine half!!
I texted my saint of a husband and he agreed to the crazy proposition of driving 16 hours, spending less than that many hours in the park, and letting me run the race! We booked a cheap hotel and headed out Friday afternoon.
We stopped along the way at his favorite non-Disney restaurant, McGuire's Irish Pub in Pensacola. It was the least I could do ;) It was delicious as always! I highly recommend it!
![]() |
| McGuire's Gift Shop |
![]() |
| The McGuire's Moose |
After pigging out, we got back in the car and then we stopped again, near the halfway point of Tallahassee, as we've come to do, and spent the night then drove the rest of the way Saturday morning. This is another thing I think we could start doing on our Disney road trips:
![]() |
| Cheap Lotto Tickets! |
![]() |
| Christmas at the Studios! |
![]() |
| Christmas Decorations! |
We hit up Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror and threw in a pretzel with cheese sauce for good measure. I wanted to try to see Osborne Lights with Jason before I needed to go to the bus for the race, but he said no biggie (such a gentleman) and off we went to the car. Jason kept a lookout as I stripped down in the semi-darkness and changed into my race clothes in the car. Haha I'm kind of shameless and impatient like that.
He drove me across the street to the Boardwalk (one of the race's host resorts) and I gave him a kiss, he wished me luck and I hopped out of the car and over to the bus stop for the race transportation. I hopped on the very first bus and sat next to another girl who was by herself. She was really nice and we ended up chatting the whole 3 hours before the race until we hit the starting line together! (I checked her bib # today and she finished her first half marathon that night!! Woohoo for Lisa!)
As soon as Lisa and I got off the bus at Wide World of Sports, we decided to get a picture with Minnie and Mickey, there were only 5 people in line. Literally 20 minutes later, there were about 100 people in line. No joke. SO GLAD I got there early.
![]() |
| Me and the "Mice" |
Can we just talk about that picture for a second? I'm with 2 mice, but I'M the one with scary rat eyes? yeah, thanks "red-eye reduction" setting. You no work. Also, what's up with my right arm? I always feel weird placing my hand behind the characters back, like I might accidentally feel them up in a Disney costume, you know? So, instead of creeping on the characters, I just look extra awkward in my character pics. Way to go Diana.
Moving on...
We sat and talked for a bit and then the DJ started playing the "warmup songs". We both decided to take part and that guy really has energy! We danced to "Gangnam Style" and I busted a move, let me tell ya. Other songs included: YMCA, Thriller, Sexy and I Know It, Chicken Dance, Firework, and all sorts of stuff. It was about 8 o'clock and after having danced for about 30 minutes straight, we walked over and I dropped off my bag at bag check then headed over to the runner's waiting area. She went over to see some online friends and then we chatted some more. We hit the porta-potties one last time, then squeezed into the corral. My only gripe about this race, as well as the DL Half, not all corrals can see the starting line until the race has begun and they've moved up. I wish there was a way to remedy that, but it's nothing huge. We heard the announcements and saw the fireworks and after a few other corrals, it was our turn!
![]() |
| Our corral's fireworks |
And I was off! I was particularly excited for this race because I had a feeling I would PR (personal record - i.e. beat my previous best time). Based on my long runs, I had been getting faster. I was hoping to shave some time off of my fastest (and first) half in January at the WDW Half Marathon where my time was 2:56:19. I started my running app (iSmoothRun) and I was off! I was determined to NOT RUN like I normally am tempted to do at the start. I kept to my normal routine, walk about 4 minutes, then start my run/walk routine (I use the Galloway run/walk method). So, I did just that. But, as I started my running, all I could think of was Disney's movie "Secretariat". In the movie Penny Chenery's dad tells her to, "Let him run his race". That is exactly how I felt. It was my race to run.
Mile one hit and my time was looking good, considering it was my "warmup mile". I decided I was feeling great and I wanted to just run, so I did!
![]() |
| Mile One Marker |
![]() |
| The first characters on the course, Chip and Dale and their piano |
![]() |
| Mile 2 Marker |
The course moved from WWoS and over to Animal Kingdom. We hit mile 3 and then the 5k checkpoint (marked by the sensor on the road) before we entered AK and after hearing my app overall time, I had to check my times that were being tweeted to verify they were right! Well, they were! I was on my way to a PR for SURE if I kept going at my current speed!
I decided to keep the pictures to a minimum so I could stay on task so sorry that there's not a whole lot for the rest of the 10 miles!! We entered AK and there were more floats from the electrical parade.
![]() |
| Twirling turtles entering the Animal Kingdom parking lot |
![]() |
| The Peacock float and the butterflies leaving AK |
After heading out of AK, we hit the 10k mark. I once again checked my tweeted time and it was still right on track!!! Score! I was still feeling great! I was eating my fuel (raisins) and drinking my watered down gatorade as needed. We hit Hollywood Studios arounnd the end of mile 8. As soon as I hit Hollywood Studios and rounded the corner onto Sunset Blvd, I shouted out loud, "SUCK IT TOWER OF TERRR 10 MILER!!!!!". If you don't follow me on twitter, you don't know the hell I went through at that race only 6 weeks ago. It was at night, it was blazing hot, I was dry heaving and had to walk the last 4 miles. It was the hardest medal to win and slowest too. But this race, which covered most of the same terrain was a total 180. After literally YELLING at the Tower of Terror, (I'm sure my fellow runners thought I was insane) I snapped this shot to commemorate the change!
![]() |
| Kicking butt and taking names on Sunset Blvd! |
I also knew that the Osborne Lights were coming up and boy, they didn't disappoint! It was so neat to run through them!! Definitely my favorite spot on the course for sure! I haven't been able to see these in 2 years so it was a total treat! Wish I could've stayed longer, but as Forrest said, "I was run-ning!"
![]() |
| Osborne Lights |
![]() |
| Running through the dancing lights! |
I walked more than ran on the actual Boardwalk, but once we passed onto the International Gateway, I knew I was home free and PR bound. I was trying hard at that point not to cry. We ran into Epcot and the after-party spectators and previous finishers were lined up cheering for us. *Don't cry Diana, don't cry*
We ran through the Fountain of Nations Plaza and crossed the all-familiar last bend around Spaceship Earth and I wondered, "would they have the gospel choir again?!" No, they didn't, BUT it was almost just as emotional, they were playing this:
Aaaaaand I lost it. I mean, I'll never be an olympic athlete. My time was still twice what the Elite runners finished in. But I knew I was going to beat my old time by such a big jump that I kind of felt like I had accomplished something big. In less than 18 months of running (EVER) and less than a year of running races, at my seventh race, I was going to do what other runners of all sizes and speeds hope to do, beat themselves.
I turned the corner and I saw it. I saw the finish. I knew Jason was there and a shiny new medal that I can add to my wall of (small) fame. I ran across the finish line, both arms in the air and screaming :) once I crossed the final tag-timer, I stopped and cried a little more. I had done it. I got my new medal and walked to the side to check my time. I officially shaved 14:17 off of my fastest half marathon!!! My official time was 2:42:02!
I picked up my drinks and food and went to the medical tent for BioFreeze (lifesaver!) for my back and then got my Brightroom post race photo, but I like the one Jason took right after I met with him the best:
![]() |
| PR BABY!!!! |
The next day, I still couldn't stop smiling. I had on my Coast to Coast shirt AND my new medal. I have never done anything so life changing in my life and running is such a high but such a healthy one. I wish everyone could do it, or find something that they enjoy as much as I do running. It's fun and it helps my health. Best thing ever.
![]() |
| I can't help it, I can't stop smiling! |
![]() |
| Even at a windy Magic Kingdom, I was still grinning from ear to ear! |
We left Sunday afternoon after a short trip to Epcot and Magic Kingdom. It was way too short of a trip, and I don't think I'd ever do another overnight trip there again (unless it was the same race-fueled circumstances) but this trip will forever be in my heart. I am so proud of how far I've come and what I've been able to accomplish.
So, here's my parting shot: GO. DO IT. Set your goal and RUN after it. I know it's cheesy. I know it's easier said than done. BELIEVE me. My training runs don't do themselves. But, the hard work and persistence pay off. So GO.
![]() |
| Just GO! |
And one more thing, if you haven't seen this movie, go watch it now, please! And run your race!
Love,




















I followed you on this FAST journey on facebook.....I thought it was great then that you did that and great now. I'll catch up on your whole blog while on Christmas break :)
ReplyDelete