Sunday, August 5, 2012

Playing dress up


Well, it's getting close! The Disneyland Half Marathon is less than one month away! I'm ashamed to admit that while I've been freaking out about how close it is, I haven't run at all this week :( I've had a recurring headache and I'm wondering if it's the weather? Either way, I have to run 5.5-6 today. After letting the headache win when my alarm when off for my early morning run, I will either have to run it outside tonight if it isn't thundering and lightning (40% chance) or on the dreadmill. I really, really hope it isn't lightning so I can do it outside!!

However, to keep myself from worrying about my current lack of distance training, I've been trying to decide on a costume to race in! I dressed up as red fraggle for the WDW half this year but it was kind of a failure (no one even new who she WAS!?!? What a crying shame!), other than the fact that my hair Pom-poms made me easier to spot for my family. But, I had a really fun time brainstorming something to wear and then getting the supplies and learning how to make the Pom-poms. It got me even more excited for the race and since I'm no Olympic speed runner, anything that makes these races more enjoyable is right up my alley! runDisney does a great job with the on-course entertainment but bringing my own excitement and fun along only helps!

So, for this race, I'm just gonna hope someone can figure out who I'm trying to be! I still haven't decided which one I want to dress as (I'll post as soon as I decide), but I have made a short list :) The one thing that I HAVE decided is that I want to make a tutu to wear for either this race or for the Tower of Terror 10 mile (I have 2 villain characters I want to dress as and this tutu will work for either of them!). So, I looked on pinterest and YouTube for some tutorials and went to the store last weekend.

I bought rolls of tulle instead of yardage on bolts, and I'm happy with the results! Here are my supplies:
20120805-104305.jpg
Add caption
Scissors, 3 rolls of 25 yard long-6" wide tulle and elastic for the waistband (I could only find some with button loops but it worked fine)

I started by trying to decide how long it should be. I decided on 36" strips which would mean that the strips would hang down about 18" from my waist. The way I looped them through, makes the length of the strip cut in half once on the elastic. I then proceeded to cut lots of strips. I cut them about 10 at a time, then do some looping so I wouldn't get so bored! After I had a mound of strips, I started to loop them over the elastic. I'm not sure the name of this type of loop/knot (under and through?!), but there's a step by step right here:
20120805-105239.jpg
Then:
20120805-105437.jpg

I actually liked using the elastic with the button holes because it gave me a nice idea on spacing! I just kept doing that over and over until I reached the end. I knew I wasn't done since I wanted it nice and "poofy". So, I then decided I didn't want it all the same length, so the bare spots above are where I put the shorter strips. I cut those at about 18" so they would hang down about 9" from the waist.

So, another round of cutting, looping, cutting and looping. Finally, I finished and came up with this:
20120805-110620.jpg
And here is the final shot that shows the "poof factor" :)
20120805-110740.jpg

Overall, for a total of about $15.00 and a few hours worth of time, I'm very happy with it. The only thing that I may change is the length. Yeah, after making the whole thing, I think I like the shorter length strips the most. The main reason is knowing that if I'm wearing this while running, they might get caught between my legs and tulle chafing has got to hurt, I'm sure. But, I don't want to find out! So, I may try cutting the longer pieces to about 12" to see if I still like the look of layers, and if not, I'll cut the whole thing to the 9" length.

Lastly, I'm going to be wearing running shorts, capris or tights (depending on which character I choose) so the see-thru nature of this tutu won't be a modesty issue, much to Hubby's content! As he saw me making it, he was worried that I was going to use it as a skirt by itself. Note, this one is not setup like that, but I'm sure that if you added a slip and even dyed the slip to match, it could be a fun skirt to wear for a party or something!

So, now, after drinking my cup of coffee, watching the women's olympic marathon earlier and now writing this post, I've decided I have to get motivated and get this long run in!! What's on your agenda today? Getting out and conquering something, or taking a breather to give yourself some rest? Either way, I hope you succeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment